Tanjong Pagar

Tanjong Pagar was a historic centre for Singapore's Chinese community. It is now a cosmopolitan area within walking distance of the CDB with a wide range of old and new shops. It is a good place for a lunch time meal with office workers, a post work hangout area for pubs and fine dining and a pleasant place to explore cafes and eclectic shops on a lazy weekend afternoon.

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Taratata Bistrot

1st Recorded Visit

A girlfriend of mine came back from Germany. So I thought that it would be a good opportunity to try a nice place around my area.

Taratata Bistrot is a French cafe styled restaurant. This was my second time at this place. I had a good first experience to want to go back. Plus 3 course set lunches on weekdays are $32++ which sounded pretty good.

The bread in this place is excellent. The bread comes warm and crusty. Its pretty hard to find good bread in Singapore. I think i almost had 5 pieces. Ok, it was good but I was also starving!


Beetroot, potato and mushroom with vinaigrette

My friend had a starter of beetroot, potato and mushroom carpaccio style. It doesn't sound great on the menu but the taste was excellent. This simple dish was lifted by a simple vinaigrette. The presentation is beautiful with salad leaves in the middle that give the dish some visual height.

Escargots with mushrooms

My starter was escargots with mushrooms. The buttery mix with crunchy textures went wonderfully with crusty bread.

Fish with prawns, fennel and potatoes in seafood broth.

We both had the fish dish as our main. The broth was infused with good rich shellfish flavor and had a smooth buttery texture. Prawns were plump and juicy. Its a classic dish that was well executed.

Chocolate cake with lavender ice cream

I was so full when I got to dessert. But I had to have at least a few mouthfuls of molten chocolate cake. The cake was moist and warm. Lavender ice cream was smooth, creamy and floral. Its a nice touch to the cake compared to the normal vanilla.

We even had a complimentary cup of tea or coffee. For such good food, I find lunch a steal at $32++.  Dinner is more costly at about $70 per head if one wants wine.

What I like about the place is that the atmosphere is quite relaxed. The food is classical and similar to what some other places in singapore do but with a twist and much more packed with flavor and texture.

The lady who oversees the front of the house has really excellent service.  She is warm and friendly and understands her food and wine. This alone is unusual in Singapore where most of the time one has no idea who even is in charge of the service. However, I think her other staff need to be trained better and be more observant.

2nd Recorded Visit


My husband, a friend and I decided to drop by after a mediocre main course dinner at Pasta Inc next door. I needed some cheering up after the dinner.

We shared the the Chocolate cake with lavender ice cream and the profiteroles.
The chocolate cake was as good as it was during lunch only in a larger serve. This is to be expected as lunch was a terribly good deal. The same dessert at dinner price was $18.



Profiteroles with vanilla Ice cream and chocolate sauce

The profiteroles had a nice texture but were not as full blown as I would have liked it.
Almonds, Chocolate sauce and vanilla ice cream all complete this classic dish. I must say I like the profiteroles at L'entrecote better. There is a more generous helping of sauce here which I prefer. But the profiteroles in L' entrecote were bite sized and easier to eat. This dessert was also $18. 

I was glad that we ordered only 2 desserts to share as both portions were good sized serves and we were stuffed at the end of it. 


Website: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Taratata-Bistrot/195664423805025
Location: 35A Keong Saik Road (Ground Floor), Singapore, Singapore 089142
Opening Hours: 
Mon - Thu:11:30 am-2:30 pm
6:00 pm-10:30 pm
Fri:11:30 am-2:30 pm
6:00 pm-1:00 am
Sat:5:30 pm-1:00 am
Contact number: 62214506
Prices: $32++ for lunch weekdays 3 course, about $70- 80 per head for dinner

No comments:

Post a Comment