Tanjong Pagar

Tanjong Pagar was a historic centre for Singapore's Chinese community. It is now a cosmopolitan area within walking distance of the CDB with a wide range of old and new shops. It is a good place for a lunch time meal with office workers, a post work hangout area for pubs and fine dining and a pleasant place to explore cafes and eclectic shops on a lazy weekend afternoon.

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Chef Icon

Chef Icon is another gem in Kampong Bahru.
I only discovered it through a friend who bought me the cheesecake for my baby shower. We all raved about the cheesecake and I decided that I had to check it out. Especially since it is still considered to be in the vicinity of Tanjong Pagar.

I had a chance to speak to the owner of the bakery who has worked in the industry for 20 over years. He is passionate about his craft and natural baking techniques. Hence, his products do not have chemicals or preservatives unlike most bakeries.
This isn't necessarily commercially productive but having tasted his products I can say that it creates premium products.
Being an artisan bakery, they only do a certain amount a day so I suggest that if you want to try these cakes and breads, go in earlier in the day.


Baskets of bread

This place only has a few dozen bread rolls in a day. This is a pity as they really do make good bread rolls that are crusty on the outside and soft within. There is texture to this bread and none of the terrible oily flavor that cheap bread shops use. I would love to be able to order this for a party but they simply don't do this to maintain the quality. The only thing I would like in this bread is a bit more sweetness to it but perhaps this is hard to achieve through natural baking techniques.

Hokkaido cake with Mocha centre

This is a wonderfully simple and delicious cake. The owner said that the difficulty of baking a good cake is to make a cake moist and yet firm enough to have texture and bite. A lot of cakes I have eaten have problems in balancing the two. This one is very good. The flavor is also not too sweet. A lot of sweetness comes from the cream in the centre that is eaten with the cake.

Iced Tea


There are iced teas, coffees and sandwiches in the shop that one can have. The sandwiches are really good as they use the bread baked in house- clubman bread.

I love this shop and wish that it was even closer to my house so I could frequent it more often.

Website: http://www.cheficon.com/cakes.html
Location: 5 Kampung Bahru Road
Opening Hours: Mon - Sat 8am- 8pm, closed on Sun and PH
Contact Number: 9337 3900
Prices: About $6.5 per slice of cake

No comments:

Post a Comment