Tanjong Pagar

Tanjong Pagar was a historic centre for Singapore's Chinese community. It is now a cosmopolitan area within walking distance of the CDB with a wide range of old and new shops. It is a good place for a lunch time meal with office workers, a post work hangout area for pubs and fine dining and a pleasant place to explore cafes and eclectic shops on a lazy weekend afternoon.

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Pasta Inc.

Pasta Inc is situated along Keong Saik Street.
I have passed the place a few times but have never tried it in my 2 years living in Tanjong Pagar. The sign Pasta Inc in black and white seems to always beckon me in.
So I decided to walk through its doors to see what was really on the other side and if it proved its allure. 

Glass room where we dined

On first sight, the decor seems inviting. We were led into a glass room. Having a dining place in glass room within a room seems a bit strange. I'm not sure what is the reason behind this design but it has a fish bowl feel.

However, I'm only a tad bit concerned about the ambience of any place. For me, its the food that really brings me back.

Since this place is called Pasta Inc., I expect pasta to be the speciality. So, I asked the waiter if the pastas were freshly made. The waiter told us that only 2 sorts of pastas were handmade- Ravioli and angel hair. Fresh pasta isn't always the best. Dry pasta can be as good if not better than fresh pasta but only if done by a expert producer. However, it is strange that a place named Pasta Inc. will only have limited fresh pasta and say very little about their dried pasta.


Bread basket

The bread came to the table. It wasn't bad but it was pretty unimpressive. With Taratata Bistrot just next door, I was starting to salivate at the thought of Taratata's warm crusty bread and wondered if I had made the right choice by stepping into Pasta Inc. 

Mushroom ravioli with tomato sauce

The above was the main course I ordered. Our eyes tell us a lot about food served before we even taste it. Although it may not be apparent from my sub standard photo above, the color of the tomato sauce told me that too much tomato paste was probably added to the sauce. Upon tasting it, the sauce was too tomatoey. The flavors were not clean and certainly did not feel fresh. There was no depth in the sauce.     The mushroom ravioli wasn't bad but the ravioli did not feel full with mushroom. The texture of the ravioli felt a bit too chewy. It was clearly freshly made but felt like it was made by a home cook rather than an expert. 


Angel hair pasta with crayfish

The angel hair was chosen by my friend. The angel hair came en papillote style. I think this was be a very difficult way of cooking pasta as it must be hard to cook it perfectly. The pasta was overcooked and as a result too soft. The crayfish had no flavor. Like my pasta, my friend said that her pasta had too many garlic slices. 

Gorgonzola ravioli with cream sauce

The cream sauce for the pasta above was the best among the three. This should have gone with the mushroom ravioli. The gorgonzola ravioli was too salty for my liking.

After the pasta, I had some room for dessert. But the 3 dishes were disappointing and we decided that we were better off going to Taratata next door for dessert. Which we did.

My personal opinion is that for the same sort of value in the area, Etna is a better deal.

Website : http://www.pastainc.sg/
Location: 35 Keong Saik Road
Opening Hours: noon - 2pm, 6pm - 10pm
Contact Number: 62977515/ 62241501
Prices: About $20-$35 for mains


No comments:

Post a Comment