Tanjong Pagar

Tanjong Pagar was a historic centre for Singapore's Chinese community. It is now a cosmopolitan area within walking distance of the CDB with a wide range of old and new shops. It is a good place for a lunch time meal with office workers, a post work hangout area for pubs and fine dining and a pleasant place to explore cafes and eclectic shops on a lazy weekend afternoon.

Sunday, January 1, 2012

La Maison Fatien

This french restaurant has only been open for about a week when we walked through its doors.
My brother and I were led to the second level and seated in a comfortable section that had a cosy high tea feel.





The dishes on the menu are traditional French. Wine list was not bad according to my brother.

Apparently the owner comes from Burgundy and owns a vineyard there with the name of La Maison Fatien (this wine is on the wine list) hence the name of the restaurant. The director that runs the restaurant is French and came by to speak to us. He requested for honest feedback for the food after the meal. It was nice to see the person running the place take interest in the customer.

Beef Bourguignon

I ordered beef bourguignon- beef in red wine. The dish came in a nice small casserole dish that looked like a le creuset dish. I always like beef bourguignon in this presentation as it is simple and reflects the rustic dish.
The sauce of the bourguignon was rich and flavourful. However, the meat was not tender enough and the red wine alcohol taste lingered in my tongue. This indicated that the alcohol had not been completely boiled off. The mash potatoes that were served with it were nice but a bit chunkier than my brother's preference. When we spoke to the director, he pointed out that they did that deliberately in that style. So I think it comes down to what you prefer. I would say this is one of the better beef bourguignon I have had in Singapore as a lot of the stuff I have tasted here is too watery.
I would have also liked more of a bay leaf flavor in this dish and some parsley sprinkled on top.

Lamb Shanks

My brother had the lamb shanks. The sauce was delicious. But similar to the beef bourguignon, the lamb shank was not tender enough and did not fall off the bone. My brother and I felt like this dish needed more rosemary to lift it up.

My little baby started crying for a feed during lunch so we had to run off back to my place. This was unfortunate as the place was relaxing and service was good and I would have liked to stay there longer. I guess I would just have to go back again.

Food wise, I would say it's reasonable for the Tanjong Pagar restaurant area from about $20-$30 for the mains. This is one more good restaurant for the area that is close to me. I am pleased.

Website: http://www.facebook.com/pages/La-Maison-Fatien/134362506663280
Location: 76 Duxton Road, Tanjong Pagar
Opening Hours: Mon- Fri 1030am- 12pm, Sat 6pm-1030pm
Contact Number: 62203822

No comments:

Post a Comment