Tanjong Pagar

Tanjong Pagar was a historic centre for Singapore's Chinese community. It is now a cosmopolitan area within walking distance of the CDB with a wide range of old and new shops. It is a good place for a lunch time meal with office workers, a post work hangout area for pubs and fine dining and a pleasant place to explore cafes and eclectic shops on a lazy weekend afternoon.

Friday, November 4, 2011

Afond Boutique Spa

I was having serious pregnancy muscle aches and decided that I had to go for a prenatal massage to make it all better

I thought I will try Afond Spa as they are in the area as they have accredited prenatal masseurs. This is not a service that all spas have.

The difference between a normal massage and a prenatal massage is not huge but essential. The accredited prenatal masseur will know how to avoid pressure points that can trigger contractions and will know the main areas of pressure to help to alleviate pain and swelling that the baby causes.

Spa at South Bridge Road

Afond Spa is between Chinatown and Tanjong Pagar MRT along South Bridge Road. This is next to Maxwell Food Centre. Being on the Main Road, the Spa is pretty easy to find.

Reception Area

Place was a bit messy and squashed up. There isn't a proper reception area to relax. For a spa, I find a proper reception area essential as a spa is meant to be a place where the customer can relax.

I was offered a drink of water. This to me is a bit cheap for a spa as a spa is about indulgence.

Massage room 

The massage room is of a decent size and clean. But as you can see there is nothing very special about the deco.

The masseur was relatively skilled. However, some of her strokes were a bit strong for me and were hurting me. I think perhaps the masseurs need to be trained to ask the customer occasionally if things are fine.
The massage bed was not very comfortable for a heavily pregnant woman as it was too flat. At Capella, the beds can be angled and a pregnancy pillow is provided making it very comfortable for pre natal massage.

At about $100 promotion price for 90 mins and $200 for non discounted pricing, I find the place too expensive. I pay about $140 for 60 mins at Capella which is also steep. But what I get there is a genuinely good all rounded experience that this spa lacks. I think I have been spoilt at Capella and it will be hard to compare other spas at that level.

Website: http://www.afondspa.com/index.htm
Location: 293/ 293A South Bridge Road
Opening hours: Mon - Fri 11am -9pm , Sat- Sun, PH 1030am- 630pm
Contact number: 6836 0676 

No comments:

Post a Comment